These sugar free date, almond and vanilla protein cookies are the easiest cookies I’ve ever made. Not only that, they are dairy free, refined sugar free, each cookie has 8 grams of protein and is only 154 calories.
Once the dates are chopped, you just throw all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz until the cookie dough is formed. Then its onto breaking up the cookie dough into 24 portions and rolling them into bite size yummy balls of goodness, arranging on a cookie sheet lined with baking paper and baking for 13 minutes. Super simple.
I find that I can fit both cookie trays in my oven at once, so in 13 minutes, I have 24 perfectly formed, healthy, high protein sugar free cookies that I can take to work for snacks, eat on the go after gym, or have as a snack with my cup of tea before bed.
Okay so, I don’t have a cup of tea and a cookie every night, especially in summer, but when winter hits, its on! Cup of tea and cookie before bed e.v.e.r.y night – there is just something comforting about it that I find relaxing and calming.
When I make these, I also usually keep a little Tupperware container in my handbag with 2 cookies in so that if I get the munchies I have something healthy on hand and don’t have to resort to buying something bad, like from a vending machine, or a convenience store!
When you bite into these date and almond cookies you’ll get a real hit of vanilla which I love with the usual crunch and crumble of a bake your own, know what’s in it healthy cookie. I didn’t use butter or margarine in these cookies, instead I used coconut oil to keep them as healthy as possible. But they still turned out firm with a slightly soft centre, although to make them firm all the way through you could leave them in the oven once they are finished cooking, but turn the oven off and just let the residual heat do its work – probably an additional 2 to 3 minutes would do it.
This is one of my favourite cookie recipes because it is so quick and easy to make and the recipe works every time. And sometimes, I confess, I just get sick of cake and muffins and want something with a crunch and crumble and a different texture. These fit the bill perfectly!
Sugar Free Date, Almond and Vanilla Protein Cookies
There is nothing better than home made cookies, especially ones that are healthy and have that irrisistable vanilla aroma, and then of course there is the chewy moreishness that makes it so difficult to have just one. Well don't stop at one with these healthy little numbers - 154 calories and 8 grams of protein per serve
- ½ cup Dates
- 2 cups Ground almonds
- 1 cup Spelt flour
- ½ cup Vanilla whey protein powder
- ¼ cup Chia seeds
- Pinch Salt
- 1 medium Egg
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup sugar free maple syrup
- 3 drops of Vanilla flavoured stevia drops
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line 2 large oven trays or cookie sheet trays with baking paper
- Finely chop dates.
- Place all ingredients into a high speed food processor – yes everything, including the chopped dates.
- Blitz for a couple of minutes until cookie dough has formed.
- Remove cookie dough and break out into 24 pieces. Roll each one into a ball and place 12 balls on each tray. Gently flatten with hand, or with fork, if you like that look.
- Bake in oven at 180 degrees for 13 minutes
- Once cooked, remove from oven and let them cool to room temperature before removing them from the cookie tray
- Store cookies in an air tight container for upto 4 or 5 days .
© My Sugar Free Kitchen. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.